Month two of a deep dive into the keto diet kicks off with a look at going into strict ketosis – eating under 25 grams of carbs a day, increasing quality fat intake, and getting in lots of greens. In conjunction with entering ketosis for the month, the guys talk about how to kick off a month of running while in ketosis, and the unique challenges keto running presents. Why a month of running? Because Alex and Rick welcome their first guest to the show – ultra runner Ken Niemimaa who joins The Paul Project to talk about his 11th annual February (Run Every Day) Challenge, where he challenges people to pick a distance and then get outside for 28 days in a row to run it! #noyimmyyammy
Some of the topics discussed:
- What’s the February (Run Every Day) Challenge and how do you take part?
- Is the keto diet complicated?
- What can a runner expect while in ketosis?
- How can you get your kids involved in helping you eat keto?
- What’s a keto flu, how long does it last, and why does it happen?
- Is fasting necessary on keto?
- How can you manage eating at a restaurant while in ketosis?
- Why does Rick run in the winter with no pants on?
Subscribe to The Paul Project:
- iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-paul-project/id1311066636
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Iqoe3dhlgtnau7qzlth6pyoxrui?t=The_Paul_Project
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-paul-project
Looking for some specific highlights? Fast-forward to the following timestamps:
- February’s kickoff on strict ketosis begins (2:30)
- February’s strict ketosis consumption guidelines (3:30)
- Guidelines to running in ketosis (5:48)
- What to expect in the first week of going keto (9:55)
- Q&A: The keto diet seems too complicated (13:34)
- Q&A: Do you just cut carbs and eat more fat & protein? (22:36)
- Q&A: Do you have to fast? (24:55)
- Q&A: How are you supposed to eat at a restaurant? (27:45)
- Ken Niemimaa of the February (Run Every Day) Challenge calls in (31:45)
Products, people, & companies mentioned this episode:
- Fat Dog 120 Trail Race (http://fatdog120.ca/)
- February (Run Every Day) Challenge (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1727558240641909/)
- Georgia Death Race (https://www.runbumtours.com/georgia-death-race-1)
- Great Ontario-Hopped Craft Beer Competition (http://onhops.ca/)
- Ken Niemimaa on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/kniemimaa/)
- Ken Niemimaa on Twitter (https://twitter.com/kenni11)
- Laurel Highlands Ultra (http://www.laurelultra.com/)
- Alexander Bos on Strava (https://www.strava.com/athletes/9284137)
- Rick Tanton on Strava (https://www.strava.com/athletes/6687982)
- Wasatch Front 100 Mile (https://wasatch100.com/)
Links mentioned in this episode:
Thanks for listening to The Paul Project! Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/thepaulprojectpodcast for early announcements of experiments, helpful links and guidance, and always let us know if you're trying them at home. More information and show notes at thepaulproject.co.